Sunday 16 July 2017

Update on book publication ... two more weeks ... meanwhile ... the Press Release!

The book is almost ready. The test copy has been proof read and (slightly) re-formatted. I am expecting a second test copy tomorrow. I am not anticipating a major re-write so I am hopeful that copies will be available for purchase from Monday the 31st July.

The 'back cover' of the book
The price and the purchase arrangements will be detailed (hopefully) on this blog next weekend. In the meantime ... here is the Press Release! (below)

The Road to Wembley from Scotland by Chris Donkin: Press Release

On the 5th August 2016 I set off to watch Penrith play against Sunderland Ryhope Community Association in the Extra Preliminary (EP) Round of the FA Cup. I chose this match because it was the EP Round match closest to the Scottish border and hence nearest to my home in Midlothian. The idea was a simple one: whoever emerged victorious I would follow them until they got knocked out of the FA Cup and then follow the team that were subsequently successful and so on and so on. Ten months, 9555 miles, 17 matches and 50 goals later I was at the FA Cup Final at Wembley to see Arsenal beat Chelsea. Initially I documented my journey as a blog – now it is available as a book.

At every stop on the Road to Wembley I found and reported on the links between the competing clubs and Scotland and was able to describe the lasting influence of Scots on the beautiful game south of the border. I met some of the great characters from non league football in England from great clubs in Penrith, Dunston, Spennymoor, Skelmersdale, Chorley and Lincoln and their stories are now part of this story. In the later rounds I was able to explore the how some of England’s most famous teams were shaped by the contribution of men from Scotland moving south over 100 years ago. As the latest edition of the FA Cup, the most famous competition in world football, neared the conclusion I was helped in this project by fine football people from MK Dons, Charlton Athletic, Brighton and Hove Albion, Lincoln City, Burnley, Arsenal and Manchester City. All had a tale to tell and their tales feature in the book.

It has been an incredible journey. It has taken 470 pages with more than 600 pictures to recount ‘The Road to Wembley from Scotland’. To be sent details of how you can get a copy of the book, email me via chris@donkinitex.co.uk

Chris Donkin (Author of ‘The Road to Wembley from Scotland’)


July 2017  

No comments:

Post a Comment