Monday 24 July 2017

An unexpected delay in publication ! ... aaarrgghh .... the book will now be available in late August

Hi readers. There has been an unforseen problem with the printing of the book 'The Road to Wembley from Scotland'. I won't bore you with the details but the short story is that copies will not be available this weekend. In fact the book won't be available for purchase until the end of August.



I have decided to take advance orders for the book  So if you want to buy a signed copy of one of the 'first edition' books then email me via chris@donkinitex.co.uk and I will log your interest and I will only send you payment details when I have the copies in my possession. I won't be taking any payments until I am in a position to either deliver or send the book to you but I am happy to reserve copies.

This is all a wee bit frustrating as the print run is 'good to go' and all formatting and proof reading has been completed. I was of course hoping to have copies available for the start of the season but unfortunately this is not going to happen now. If you are intrigued by it all and you want to get a wee preview of what it might look like before you commit to parting with £20 then email me and I will send you a chapter as a taster. If I met up with you at all on 'The Road' there is a very good chance that there is a photo of you in the book!

The football season is starting without my book launch and tomorrow night I will be heading for Peterhead to see my first competitive game of the season when my beloved Hearts visit the 'Blue Toon' for a match in the Betfred League Cup. I popped in to Tynecastle earlier to collect the tickets for me and ma laddie and the new stand at Hearts is taking shape.

New stand at Tynie taking shape - ready for Hearts v Aberdeen on Sept 9? ... maybe!


The only other news I have for readers following this blog as I have revised the Press Release to try to make the whole adventure described in the book sound as exciting as it was ... loads of thrills and spills. The new Press Release is shown below and thanks to Kev Higgins and my brother George for their input. More news on what the actual publication date might be when I have more detail from the printer. Keep reading ....

The Road to Wembley from Scotland by Chris Donkin: Press Release

On the 5th August 2016 I set off to watch Penrith play against Sunderland Ryhope Community Association in the Extra Preliminary (EP) Round of the FA Cup. I chose this match because it was the EP Round match closest to the Scottish border and hence nearest to my home in Midlothian. The idea was a simple one: whoever emerged victorious I would follow them until they got knocked out of the FA Cup and then follow the team that were subsequently successful and so on and so on. Ten months, 9555 miles, 17 matches and 50 goals later I was at the FA Cup Final at Wembley to see Arsenal beat Chelsea. Initially I documented my journey as a blog – now it is available as a book.

At every stop on the Road to Wembley I found and reported on the links between the competing clubs and Scotland and was able to describe the lasting influence of Scots on the beautiful game south of the border. I met some of the great characters from non league football in England from great clubs in Penrith, Dunston, Spennymoor, Skelmersdale, Chorley and Lincoln and their stories are now part of this story. In the later rounds I was able to explore how some of England’s most famous teams were shaped by the contribution of men from Scotland moving south over 100 years ago. As the latest edition of the FA Cup, the most famous competition in world football, neared its conclusion I was helped in this project by fine football people from MK Dons, Charlton Athletic, Brighton and Hove Albion, Lincoln City, Burnley, Arsenal and Manchester City. All had a tale to tell and their tales feature in the book.

The romance of the FA Cup remains alluring. In all rounds there were thrills and spills, hopes realised and dreams dashed, heros and villains. The plucky underdog snapped at the heels of the rich and famous and on more than one occasion the giants were bitten.

It has been an incredible journey. It has taken 470 pages with more than 600 colour pictures to recount ‘The Road to Wembley from Scotland’. The cost of the book is £20 plus £3 postage if needed. All surpluses from this ‘not for profit’ book will be donated to Multiple Sclerosis Society. To be sent details of how you can get a copy, email me via chris@donkinitex.co.uk

Chris Donkin (Author of ‘The Road to Wembley from Scotland’)


July 2017  

No comments:

Post a Comment