Wednesday 19 October 2016

MK Dons up next on The Road to Wembley from Scotland. Dons links with Bonnie Scotland are starting to emerge

So, the die is cast. The next stop on the Road to Wembley from Scotland is Milton Keynes. Match 9 on The Road will see the minnows from Spennymoor Town facing the big fish MK Dons on the 5th November. I am expecting fireworks!

The impressive Stadium MK in Milton Keynes

At this point just after the draw has been made I usually write a piece entitled ‘What xxx means to me’ where xxx is my next place to visit on ‘The Road’. However, I am well and truly stuck here. No offence to the good people of Milton Keynes but your interesting town in Buckinghamshire means nothing at all to me. I have never been there and surprisingly I have never seen your team play. When I was living in Boston Lincs the MK Dons visited York Street to play Boston United on the 26th August 2006 but by that time (even though I was still living in Lincs) I had a season ticket for Hearts and every other Saturday I was on ‘The Road to Tynecastle from Boston’. So I missed the match. I don’t think the Dons have played more than that one game at York Street. I am looking forward to visiting Milton Keynes in early November.

My next task of course is to flush out the links between the new team on this journey and Bonnie Scotland. I have had a bit more joy in this respect. I note from the MK Dons squad list that they have a young Scots lad who is on the fringes of the first team. Midfielder Connor Furlong is only 18 but he has already made his debut for the MK Dons and two years ago played for the Scotland U-16s. I hope to hear from Connor soon and provide a bit more detail.

Scotsman Connor Furlong of MK Dons: Natty hair cut!
Looking through the MK Dons record books two Scots, Alex Rae and Colin Cameron are highlighted. Alex Rae, had an illustrious playing career featuring spells with Rangers, Wolves, Milwall and Sunderland. His final destination as a player was the MK Stadium where he briefly ‘donned’ the white shirt. He is listed in their records as the oldest player ever to play for the club when, at the age of 40 years and 10 months, he lined up for them in 2009. Alex is currently between jobs as a manager having recently been sacked by St Mirren

Scotsman Alex Rae: The oldest player ever to play for MK Dons
Colin Cameron is well known to me. He represented Hearts with distinction and he made me very happy in May 1998 when he scored from the penalty spot as my beloved Hearts beat Rangers 2-1 in the Scottish Cup Final. ‘Mickey’ as he is popularly known due to his uncanny resemblance to Mickey Mouse, played for Hearts for five years before moving south to play in England. He had spells at Wolves, Millwall and Coventry before joining MK Dons for the 2007-08 season. It was during this spell that, at the age of 35, he scored a goal that has seen him acquire the accolade of the oldest player to score for MK Dons. Mickey obviously has the secret of eternal youth because he is still playing. On Saturdays these days he turns out for Lochore Welfare in Scottish non league football at the age of 43.

Spot the difference: Scot 'Mickey' the oldest player to score for MK Dons

As the build up to the big game on the 5th November gathers pace I hope to discover and report more links between this fixture and Bella Caledonia. I am hoping to hear from some MK Dons fans soon.

Last night both the Moors and the Dons were in league action. Coincidentally both recorded 3-3 draws … more about this tomorrow.


In the words of The Flaming Lips song ‘All we have is now’. Now is a great time for The Moors. What will the future hold? They take on the considerable might of the aristocrats from Milton Keynes on the 5th November. This is more than David v Goliath it is more akin to the Mosquito v the Rhino. Will the The Moors live to fight another day or will the MK Dons prevail? It is going to be mega! Keep visiting this blog for more build up including more links between the MK Dons and Scotland.

2 comments:

  1. Alan Smart, the worst and most hated player to wear a Caley shirt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting ! I got some good feedback from MK Dons fans re Alan's time at the Stadium MK and mentioned him in the post that followed this one. Hope all ok with you. Best wishes ... Chris

    ReplyDelete