Monday 3 October 2016

Its Lincoln United v Spennymoor Town up next: So what does Lincoln mean to me?

Earlier today the draw was made for the 4th Qualifying Round of the FA Cup for season 2016-17. I discovered that the next stop on The Road to Wembley from Scotland is going to be in Lincolnshire. Lincoln United of the Unibond League Division One South will entertain Spennymoor Town. This is great news for me personally as, having lived in Boston Lincolnshire from 1991 to 2008, I have been hoping that the journey would swing past Lincolnshire. They say that patience is a virtue and I have waited until the 4th qualifying round to book a visit to yellow-belly country but on the 15th October I will be back.

So what does Lincoln and specifically Lincoln United mean to me? Lincoln is great wee city and I have spent many happy times there both visiting and working as a self employed educational consultant. It is a vibrant place and the University of Lincoln establishing itself over the last decade or so has added a more bohemian feel to the old city. The shops up the ‘Steep Hill’ are quaint and the cathedral is magnificent.

As far as football goes, I have visited the place many times to watch Lincoln City. The most memorable games for me were when Lincoln City and Boston United were in the same league and the Lincolnshire Derby took centre stage. I recall one pulsating match in September 2004 played in front of a full house at Sincil Bank when Boston scored a late equaliser to ensure that the match finished 2-2. The match was noteworthy because the cross for the late equaliser was supplied by Paul Gascoigne. Hard to believe that Gazza once played for The Pilgrims.

 
Gazza enjoying playing for Boston United in 2004

I have also been to see Lincoln United play at home – but only once. When the draw was made I was sure that I had seen them play in the FA Cup but as a good anorak does I had a rummage through my old programmes and discovered that the match in question was a Northern Counties East League fixture against Hallam FC in October 1994.

 
The 94-95 Lincoln United Programme Cover: Pic inspired by Frank Zappa's Freak Out album cover?

At the time I was ‘collecting’ non league grounds in Lincolnshire and I was thus able to tick the Ashby Avenue Ground off my list.

 
Lincoln United v Hallam FC team listings from October 1994

My programme shows that United won 3-0 with Potter, Simmons and ex Boston United favourite Ged Creane on the scoresheet. The Hallam FC team featured Shane Kent at number 8 and a few years later I was to appoint young Shane to a post as a Sports Science lecturer at Boston College. Small world! In truth I can’t remember much about the match except that the Ashby Avenue ground is trim and attractive.


Picturesque Ashby Avenue framed by tall trees
I am looking forward to returning later this month. On Saturday Spennymoor Town flew by the seat of their pants but managed to record the big W against Chorley. With Lincoln United plying their trade one division below The Moors they might have things a little easier in this round. However, it is the FA Cup and you just never know what the outcome will be. One thing for sure, it is going to be yet another fascinating stop on The Road to Wembley from Scotland.  

No comments:

Post a Comment