Tuesday 16 August 2016

Dunston UTS v Penrith - the winners will host Skelmersdale in the next round

I was caught unawares yesterday when I discovered that the draw for the first qualifying round was made earlier than usual. I have found out that the winners of the Dunston UTS v Penrith will play Skelmersdale at home in the next round on Saturday the 3rd September. This is good news for me as it means that The Road to Wembley from Scotland will allow me to spend a bit more time in the far north of England before the journey takes me much further south. I will be making a return visit to either the UTS Stadium in Gateshead or to the scenic Frenchfields Stadium in Penrith in early September.

Skelmersdale will provide stern opposition for either Dunston or Penrith as they play in the Northern Premier League Premier Division. The Northern Prem is significantly higher in the football pyramid than the Northern League where Dunston and Penrith ply their trade.

The Skelmersdale team pose for a team photo prior to the start of season 2016-17

In due course I will be getting in touch with Skemersdale FC to explore their Scottish links - talking of which ... I was back in touch with Ken Fitzpatrick the website editor and photographer from Dunston UTS asking if he had unearthed any more links between Dunston UTS and Bella Caledonia. Ken, who has been very generous with his help for this blog, told me that he can't think of much more but that he does play the bagpipes!

Dunston website editor Ken Fitzpatrick playing the bagpipes at Bannockburn

Ken sent me a link to his flickr page showing him playing the pipes in many locations including Bannockburn. The battle of Bannockburn was a famous victory for the Scots over the English in 1314 in the First War of Scottish Independence. Much blood was spilled in pursuit of a famous victory. Hopefully no blood will be spilled on Saturday when Dunston UTS play Penrith but I wonder which team will record a famous victory to see them march on to do battle with Skelmersdale?

No comments:

Post a Comment