Thursday 16 June 2016

FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round draw date set and more memories of my early fascination with the FA Cup

I found out yesterday that the draw for the all important ‘Extra Preliminary Round’ of the FA Cup 2016-17 will take place on Friday July the 8th. This will determine at what ground the journey will begin. The tie that is staged nearest to the Scottish border is where I will be heading to see the FA Cup tie on Saturday the 6th August. Teams that are in the frame to be the first destination are Alnwick Town, Morpeth Town, Penrith and Ashington. I am already agog with anticipation.

After my initial introduction to the ‘Romance of the Cup’ in September 1966 at South Bank I remained fascinated by the competition but as a wee boy I was at my Dad’s mercy as to what ties I could see. We had moved from Newcastle to Redcar in 1965 and the whole family were Newcastle United supporters – except me. Everyone at my new school supported Middlesbrough and as a young incomer I did not want to be the odd one out so I became a Boro fan.  I believe the next FA Cup tie I saw was the second round match between Middlesbrough and York City at Ayresome Park in November 1966. Interestingly neither South Bank’s Normanby Road ground nor Middlesbrough’s ex-home Ayresome Park no longer exist. Being a nostalgic sort of guy I think this is a real shame – especially in the case of Ayresome Park a ground with an incredible atmosphere and great tradition. Times move on and Middlesbrough have played at the well-appointed Riverside Stadium since 1995. Their new ground is about a mile and a half from South Bank.

Other memories of the FA Cup from about this time include seeing the exploits of Tow Law Town reported on local TV. In season 67-68 they reached the second round of the FA Cup and before losing to Shrewsbury Town they had battled through 4 qualifying rounds and one round of the competition proper. I recall being so disappointed when they got knocked out (even though I barely knew where Tow Law was) as I cherished the hope that the 1968 Cup Final would be Middlesbrough v Tow Law Town.


The family moved again in December 1970 and this time we moved to Scotland. In the last full season before we moved Middlesbrough had a great cup run that captured the imagination of not just me but everybody living in the Teesside area. In round three, in January 1970, the Boro beat West Ham United. The West Ham team included Bobby Moore, Martin Peters and Geoff Hurst from the England World Cup winning team. With the 1970 Mexico World Cup still to take place England were still world champions. The Hammers also had Billy Bonds, Frank Lampard Senior and Harry Redknap playing. The superstars were no match for the likes of John Hickton, Hugh McIlmoyle and Derrick Downing. I was in awe as the Boro won 2-1 with over 32,000 fans, including me, packed in to Ayresome Park. The place was rocking and I was in seventh heaven. Also in the Boro line up that day was goalkeeper Willie Whigham who was renowned as being the ugliest player of his generation. My Dad used to tell me he intended to get a framed picture of the legendary custodian and place it on the mantelpiece to keep my younger brother Martin away from the fire. In round 4 the Boro were drawn at home to York City and won comfortably and I was there. In round 5 the Boro were drawn at home again – this time Carlisle United visited and again I was there. Then the draw for the quarter finals and Middlesbrough were given a home tie against Manchester United. It was eighteen months earlier that Man United had famously won the European Cup and their 1970 team included Brian Kidd, Bobby Charlton and of course George Best. The draw was made on a Monday lunchtime and a group of school pals had gathered round a pocket radio to hear the incredible news. I could not wait to get home to talk to my Dad about it. Later that evening my Dad gave the 12 year old Chris Donkin some unexpected news. He told me I could not go – it would be too busy and too dangerous. I was devastated. Football is quite ridiculous. Since that evening some 56 years ago, like all people in their fifties, I have experienced sad losses, seen tragic family events unfold and experienced personal and professional disappointments …. but rarely (if ever) have I felt as devastated as I did that evening. The Boro from Division Two held the mighty Man United to record a creditable draw. Man United won the replay and 10 months later the Donkin family moved to Penicuik Midlothian and for a while my flirtation with the romance of the FA Cup was over.

6 comments:

  1. It's not football that's ridiculous - just the hopes and dreams of 12-year-olds before life makes us hard and cynical. When I was the same age all my friends went on a school cruise to Egypt - £100 a head. It might as well have been a million quid as far as my mum and dad were concerned - we had no money to spare. I still remember the devastated tears I cried 41 years ago when they said I couldn't go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain Yvonne. I guess when I wrote 'football is ridiculous' it is almost an admission that even now as a man of advancing years football still make me feel completely distraught when my team (Hearts) lose a big match or utterly elated when they win. My mood on a Saturday evening in the season is usually dictated by the Hearts result ... but as Alex Ferguson once famously said "football eh ? - bloody hell!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that."
    Bill Shankly

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops - accidentally put the same comment twice :-) Still getting the hang of this blogging lark ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex Ferguson and Bill Shankly ... two legends who both knew the road to Wembley from Scotland !

    ReplyDelete