Sunday 11 June 2017

Some good luck for me in getting the book ready. A large black cat (a Panther) has crossed my path ! Also boozing at Hampden ...

Well dear readers you will have noticed that the posts are becoming more intermittent and it is highly likely that this post will not make it into the book. The posts will continue on a sporadic basis until the book is published. However to bring you all up to speed on the progress towards book publication I offer the following update.

I have sourced a publisher! The book ‘The Road to Wembley from Scotland’ will be published by FlexiPress of Ormskirk in Lancashire. One of the great joys of the ‘Road’ journey has been sharing experiences with fellow football anoraks. In September I first met the magnificent Kev Panther the programme editor of Skelmersdale United.

Skem programme editor and ace wordsmith: Kev Panther 

 We have become great pals and Kev sent me a copy of his excellent book ‘The Boys in Blue from 1882: A brief history of Skelmersdale United FC’ published by FlexiPress. I was so impressed with the book, the layout the content, the pictures that I got in touch with FlexiPress and they have quoted me a reasonable price to publish my tome. By the wonders of email and the internet and I am in regular contact with Kev and he is helping me put together the book. Words can not express how grateful I am for his assistance. Obviously, given the amount of editing and re-editing that will be necessary before the book comes out it is dangerous to nominate a publication date but I am hopeful that the book will be available for purchase on Saturday August 5th 2017 – the date of the Extra Preliminary Round of the FA Cup for season 2017-18!

Meanwhile the world of football rumbles on. Yesterday I attended my first match since the FA Cup final when me, my wife Anne, her sister Carole and my brother in law Dougie were at Hampden Park for the Scotland v England World Cup qualifier. The football for the first 85 minutes was attritional but with so much at stake was compelling. The final 5 minutes though were sensational as Scotland went from 1-0 down to 2-1 ahead only to concede an equaliser in the final minute of stoppage time. A highlight of any big match is the bevvying before the game when the sense of anticipation tastes almost as good as the beer.

Dougie Hunter, Anne Donkin and Carole 'Hollow Legs' Hunter


A pre match libation or 5 with Dougie
Another post next weekend when I hope to be a bit more precise about the actual publication date. I also intend to write (and post) my final chapter of the book trying to make sense of what it was all about and what I have learned from the project about football and about life … so keep reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment