Sunday 4 December 2016

Planes, trains and pints: A grand day out with Robbie Neilson's MK Army

Saturday the 3rd December 2016

FA Cup Round Two

Charlton Athletic 0 Milton Keynes Dons 0

It was trains, planes and automobiles yesterday on the Road to Wembley from Scotland  as I made the longest journey so far. Another 925 miles racked up on the 'Road'. A relatively uneventful match but an absolute pleasure to spend the day out with Robbie Nielson’s MK Army.


This is how the day panned out.

Pre Match Communications: After 7 weeks with the Dons from Milton Keynes I am now beginning to feel very much at home on their facebook forums. I have had a lot of fascinating stuff from the contributors to both the MK Dons FC and MK Dons Worldwide platforms. Over the last week when Robbie Neilson moved from my beloved Hearts to the Dons I would like to think I have reciprocated in terms of interesting stuff going in the other direction. It was great to meet the administrators of  both of these sites yesterday at The Valley. More about that later in this report.

Colin Butler and Nick Hedges yesterday: Administrators of the MK Dons FC facebook page
Charlton Athletic fans too have been very generous in helping me understand more about their club and their current plight. The Charlton Athletic FC (Unofficial and Uncensored) fb page has provided me with a lot of the background as to why the current campaign against the owner Roland Duchatelet is necessary. The contributors to the page have also provided me with some fascinating detail about their past links with Scotland (see my post dated the 17th November). I must also name-check my twitter friend Andy Phillips (@APCAFC) who has signposted me to the background of the Duchatelet regime at The Valley.   8/10

Pre Match Pint: I was informed by Andy Phillips that the nearest  pub to the Valley is the Anitigallican opposite the station. So that is where I headed for my pre match pint.

The Antigallican: A good old fashioned boozer
As I was not driving on this day out the pre match pint turned into pre match 4 pints. Well, you are only middle-aged once! The first two were consumed in the Antigallican. This is where I bumped in to Steven Manning and John Farnan of the MK Dons Worldwided facebook page.

John Farnan and Steven Manning (Administrator of the MK Dons Worldwide fb page)
It was fascinating chatting with John about the short history of the club. He was keen to point out that AFC Wimbeldon were actually formed before the Wimbeldon FC ‘franchise’ move to MK and this was often mis-reported. John reckons that the angst shown by some AFC Wimbeldon supporters towards the MK Dons is almost a guilt thing in that they had allowed their club to reach a stage where they were effectively bankrupt and the only way they could survive (according to their own Chairman at the time Charles Koppel) was to relocate to Milton Keynes. John considers that the arrival of the MK Dons in Milton Keynes has been a very positive thing for the town and for football in general. John himself was an Arsenal supporter who has changed allegiances. As a traditionalist I did a double take here and he must have guessed my thoughts as I gave him the quizzical look and he said “who can criticise someone for supporting their local team?” Who indeed? Later I met MK Dons fans Dave and Will Garret while I was having my fourth pint inside the ground and they revealed they were ex-Leicester fans who were now avid supporters of their local team.

Father and son Dave and Will Garrett and Chris Donkin lookalike John Fitzgerald
The third pint was consumed after I left The Antigallican and before I went in to the ground. I popped in to the Charlton Liberal Club where a large sign outside the door said “No Away fans”. I reckoned this would be a good place to see what the Charlton Athletic fans made of all the turmoil that was going on at their club. As I tried to breeze past a couple of bouncers they asked ‘are you an away fan?’ and I assured them I was a Hearts fan so I was allowed in. For the last couple of weeks I have been struggling with one comment that my Addicks twitter pal Andy Phillips had made. He reckoned that currently all Charlton supporters who are disillusioned with the current regime were either protesters or boycotters. After reading a lot on social media I sensed that there might be a third camp. Those who may not be entirely pro the current regime but just wanted to go to the matches, support their team and mostly ignore the politics surrounding the club. I felt that inside the Liberal Club I could maybe meet some fans who were possibly in the third camp. At the bar I got chatting with a guy who was going to the match and has not protested. I asked him what he thought of Roland: “the sooner he fucks off mate – the better”. Based on this statistically insignificant polling sample I conclude that it would seem that even those who still go to the games and don’t protest have no time for Roland. Let’s hope that Taxi for Roland is filling up with petrol as I write.

Inside the Charlton Liberal Club before the match yesterday
This section has previously been reporting the quality of the beer consumed. In truth none of my four pints was any good but the bar-room conversations were fascinating and memorable so … 8/10

Programme: The match day magazine was priced at £2.00. It was a fairly standard and relatively unimaginative publication for a club of Charlton’s size and history. After getting the early morning train to London I flew back from Gatwick after the match. I thought great, something to read on the hour long plane flight. After 30 minutes I was finished. Oh dear. Not that much reading in it. The usual stuff was in but I was surprised there was nothing about the ‘magic of the Cup’ or indeed Charlton’s rich FA Cup history. After all, they did win it once when a Scotsman scored the only goal of the game in the 1947 final at Wembley.

There was a long interview with new boss, ex MK Dons manager Karl Robinson. This was interesting but there was no mention of the ‘elephant in the room’ - the current disgruntlement among the Charlton Athletic support and how he might deal with that. As a consequence the interview was a bit superficial. 4/10



Ground: The Valley is a fabulous all seater football stadium. Good facilities inside the ground and modern enough to luck fresh but old enough to let you sense the tradition and history. With over 27000 seats it is pretty big too. 8/10

Atmosphere: The atmosphere in the away end was fantastic. The 639 hardy souls who had made their way from MK to South London sung their hearts out. The atmosphere in the other parts of the ground must have been a bit surreal. A vast cavernous ground with less than 5000 fans in attendance.

Is there a match on? The cavernous Valley was not very well filled yesterday
I am tempted to make the old joke about there being more atmosphere on the moon. Oops I just did. 6/10

Scottishness: Both MK Dons and Charlton Athletic have ex-players who are Scots who have served their clubs with distinction (see earlier posts). However the only Scot who was named yesterday was young Scots loanee centre back Jack Hendry who was listed a as an MK Dons sub and did not take part in any of the action. It could have been that the Scots connection to this match would be tenuous but of course the Dons appointed Paisley born Robbie Neilson as their new boss on Friday.

Robbie and his assistant Stevie Crawford look on at The Valley
Robbie has been tempted away from my beloved Hearts and I wish him every success at Stadium MK. Yesterday he took a ‘watching brief’ from the main stand at The Valley as caretaker manager Richie Barker took control of team affairs for the last time. Robbie was given a warm reception by the travelling MK Dons fans who feel that they are lucky to have landed him. By my watch it took only six minutes before I heard the first chorus of “Robbie Neilson’s MK Army” … now that might well catch on! 8/10

Entertainment:

For a 0-0 draw this was a decent match played in a good spirit. Both teams looked comfortable on the ball and both sides looked to play an attractive passing game. My abiding memory of the match on the train back into central London was that it was all nice tippy-tappy football with neither team showing much cutting edge. I was hence surprised when I watched the brief BBC highlights on the i-player this morning to find that there were so many clear cut chances: note to self – miss out the 4th pint next time.

MK Dons defending a corner during the first half yesterday
McGennis and Lookman both went close with good efforts for Charlton. Reeves, Baldock and Bowditch all tested the Charlton custodian’s goalkeeping skills with attempts on target. Maybe not so tippy tappy after all but I do feel sure that Robbie Neilson will make sure that the MK Dons create good chances more regularly in future games.

The MK Dons were definitely the better side and probably deserved to win. They had more possession, more shots off target, more shots on target and more corners. They nearly did win when in the 70th minute they had the ball in the net only for it to be ruled offside. By heck it was close! Following a cross from the left Dons frontman Kieran Agard put the ball in the net with a fine glancing header, from what looked like an onside position to the naked eye. However the flag went up immediately.

Sian Massey-Ellis one of the best assistant referees in English football raises the flag yesterday
The lino who ruled it out was Sian Massey-Ellis the female assistant referee who was central to Sky Sports Richard Keys and Andy Gray controversy that ended with the two dinosaur broadcasters losing their jobs at Sky. In January 2011 Sky were covering a match between Liverpool and Wolves and the linesperson, then only 26 years old, Sian-Massey-Ellis made a tight offside call that was subsequently proven to be correct. Keys and Gray were not having it. Off air but in a dialogue that found its way into the public domain the politically incorrect Keys spluttered: “somebody better get down there and explain the offside rule to her”. Gray responded: “Can you believe that? A female linseperson. Women don’t know the offside rule”. Fast-forward nearly six years to The Valley yesterday.

Agard is offside: By about 3 or 4 inches !
In the above picture Kieran Agard is the central of the three most forward MK Dons players. The pic is taken at the exact moment the pass is struck. It is so tight and me and my son Brian have looked at this for ages and concluded that Agard is just offside – by a whisker! Sian Ellis-Massey certainly does know the offside rule and has also got keen eyesight and the bottle to make big calls. Shame for the Dons though that it was chalked off, but every cloud has a silver lining and I now have a replay at Stadium MK to look forward to.

Full time: Addicks 0 Dons 0  7/10

Match Day Catering: The pies on offer inside The Valley were chicken, vegetarian and steak pies. My steak pie was great but £4 for a pie is just ridiculous. 6/10

Value for Money: The admission price of £10 was very reasonable for an important FA Cup tie in good surroundings. I note from the programme that league match prices start at £17 so well played to Charlton Athletic for making the match more accessible. Just a shame that so few turned up. 7/10

The je ne sais quoi factor: Two things were notable about this match. The friendliness of the MK Dons fans and the over-the-top policing of the fixture.

Over the last seven weeks I have been in dialogue with a whole load of MK Dons fans on social media. Through the ether I have found them to be helpful, friendly and disarmingly self-effacing. These are not personality traits that are often attributed to a group of fans from a relatively big club. They have learned to live with the bad publicity that goes with them being labelled as the ‘franchise club’. In the immediate aftermath of Robbie Neilson being appointed manager someone posted on their fb site a pic of William Wallace looking uncannily like Robbie with the caption ‘they can take our lives but they cant take away our franchise’. Brilliant. They are a new club and what they lose in tradition they have more than made up with in warmth and a family atmosphere in the supporter base. Lots of women and children among the travelling support yesterday.

Robbie's MK Army: Lots of women and children among the foot soldiers
They have this business with AFC Wimbledon to cope with but other than that they seem to have a very positive view of the wider footballing community. I noted on facebook earlier today that in sympathy with Charlton supporters plight it was noted that ‘.. its a shame to see yet another great old club apparently going down the gurgler’. I wish the MK Dons well and with Robbie Neilson now at the helm I will continue to take interest in their progress long after they are knocked out of the FA Cup

The other notable aspect from yesterday was the over-the-top police presence. As noted above the MK Dons fans are just about the most friendly fans in football. Also the ‘crowd’ yesterday was a measly 4902. So it is hard to understand why the Metropolitan Police thought that they needed such a prominent presence inside the ground, outside the ground and at the railway station.

Is this really necessary: Five police horses head towards the ground to maintain order


Let me end on a toast to the good people of Milton Keynes and award the highest possible rating for the ‘je ne sais quoi factor. 10/10

Overall Road to Wembley from Scotland Rating 72/100

At this point I usually have to say goodbye to new friends who I have met from the vanquished team. However, because the match was drawn I am simply saying au revoir to my pals from Milton Keynes and Charlton. Au revoir is so much better than goodbye and I look forward with great anticipation to the replay at Stadium MK on Tuesday the 13th December.

Miles on the clock for this match by road, rail and car 925
Total Miles on the Road to Wembley from Scotland so far 4145


No comments:

Post a Comment