Thursday 28 July 2016

So where would I like the road to take me ?

So where would I like the road to take me if I could choose?

Firstly I must say that I am so pleased that my first destination is Penrith. Living in Midlothian and working in the East Midlands of England from 2008 until March this year when I retired, I have passed their Frenchfield Stadium literally hundreds of times on the journey over the A66. I often toyed with the idea of trying to make my return journey from my work commitments synchronise with a Penrith AFC home match – but it never happened. The nearest I got was stopping off to see ‘Martin Turner’s Wishbone Ash’ at  The Stoneybeck Inn in Penrith in September 2011. However, that is another story and possibly the subject for a completely different blog. I am also pleased to be visiting Penrith because of the friendliness of the communications that I have received from those associated with the ‘Bonny Blues’ since the draw for the extra preliminary round was made. Penrith Player Matthew Read, Karl who does the Penrith twitter feed, Cumbrian groundhopper Geoff Jackson, photographer Ben France and last but not least the Scottish physiotherapist Susan Pollock have all been very helpful. Thanks to them all and I am particularly looking forward to seeing Susan utilising her Scots no-nonsense approach to on-field treatment a week on Saturday. I am also delighted that the opposition is Sunderland RCA where Gary Errington, Keith Stoker and Ross McNab (grandson of the legendary Scottish Sunderland half back Jim McNab) have been very helpful in flushing out the links between their club and Bella Caledonia. I am hoping that the tie goes to a replay and that I get the chance to visit RCA’s Meadow Park.

Beyond the extra preliminary round, the draw for the preliminary round has already been made. The winners of the tie in Penrith will travel to play either Dunston UTS in Newcastle or Barnoldswick Town in Lancashire but just outside the Yorkshire Dales. I have no preference as to who wins the EP tie in Barnoldswick as a weekend in ‘The Toon’ or a visit to the Yorkshire Dales are both attractive propositions. Good luck to both of teams on August the 6th. Pics of both of their home grounds are shown below.

The UTS Stadium in Newcastle where Dunston play their home games
 
The Silentnight Stadium in the sleepy Barnoldswick hamlet


For qualifying rounds 1 to 4 the ‘road’ could take me almost anywhere in the north of England during September and October. My fervent hope is that the route will swing by Lincolnshire. It would be absolutely magical if the road took me to York Street Boston, home of Boston United,  where I watched so many great FA Cup ties in the nineties and noughties. A visit to Tattershall Road home of Boston Town would also be amazing but this is less likely as there is a fair chance that they will be eliminated before the first qualifying round. Given that in the 17 years I lived in Lincolnshire I attended matches at just about every non league ground within an 80 mile radius of Boston then any visit back to Lincolnshire would be both nostalgic and exciting. I have always had a particular affection for Gainsborough Trinity and the Northolme in October always looks splendid. Pie, chips and mushy peas used to be available from the snack bar!  I have also noted that York City are now a non league team and a weekend break in York in the Autumn would be nice.

In November the League One and League Two teams enter the competition. My preferred picks here would be Hartlepool and Carlisle. However, it would be interesting to see one of the ‘slumbering giants’ thrashing away in the early rounds of the FA Cup. Portsmouth, Plymouth, Coventry and Sheffield United will be in the draw for round one. Alternatively, having lived for so long in the East Midlands it would be an attractive proposition to see how the likes of Lincoln City, Northampton, Chesterfield and Peterborough are getting on.

When the FA Cup reaches the third round stage the big boys join in. Having been born and brought up in the north east of England the prospect of attending an FA Cup tie at either the Riverside Middlesbrough or St James Park Newcastle would be mouth watering. Despite my background I have never seen Sunderland play a home game so a visit to the Stadium of Light would be a big moment for me. Beyond the north east ‘big three’ there are a whole load of teams I have a soft spot for – mostly because I have pals who support these teams. So to go a game at Tottenham with Colin Baggley and Steve Langford, Leeds United with Mick Taylor, Hull City with Howie Baby, Nottingham Forest with Boz, Leicester with Gary O’Donnell, Manchester United with Jiminio, Derby with Mick Moreton, Arsenal with Sanjoy or Aston Villa with Graham Randall would all be memorable.


The truth of the matter is that the marble balls in the velvet bag will decide the route. Wherever the road takes me I am ready for it and looking forward to it with great anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment